This teacher professional development course is designed to produce a deep understanding of:
- Key concepts in education including assessment and differentiated instruction
- Teacher mindsets required for effective mathematics teaching and learning
- Relevant learning theories and research
- Lesson structure and learning experiences
This course looks to equip teachers with an in-depth understanding of how to teach mathematics effectively so that pupils achieve a high level of fluency and are able to think flexibly.
The key ideas of the four operations interspersed with practical advice
- A deep look at the four mathematical operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) their multiple embodiments and how to teach them so that students can apply what they know to complex situations
Conceptual understanding behind common procedures
- With a view that all students will learn common procedures in order to become both fluent and efficient we look at how they can be taught so that meaning can be derived from the algorithms
Selected aspects of fractions, geometry and measurements
- Looking at these important aspects of elementary mathematics and how they can be taught to a high level
Teaching of word problems and bar models
- We look at how the skills required to solve complex word problems can be taught so that pupils improve their ability to reason and apply what they know
Key competencies — visualisation, number sense, metacognition and generalisation
- A look at the competencies that students must develop in order to be highly proficient at mathematics and how they can be developed on a daily basis in the classroom
- How journaling can be used in the class to help students reflect and communicate their ideas while providing evidence of learning
Who this is course intended for?
This course is intended for primary school teachers who are looking to improve their practice of teaching mathematics. It is designed to equip teachers with the skills, knowledge and mindset to be successful in the teaching of mathematics to mastery. Although not necessary, classroom experience in teaching mathematics to mastery is beneficial for this course. Successful completion of this course is a prerequisite for taking further advanced courses.
Level up your practice
How It Works
Find out more about the different types of training we offer and whether it's right for you.
Can't make it to our face-to-face training events? Don't worry! We have several online offerings. To see what's available, go to our Event Calendar and filter for 'online' in the Events dropdown.