This course is designed to:
- Understand the different types of assessment in primary school mathematics and how to apply them in a mastery learning environment
- Move beyond negative perceptions to uncover assessment’s true power
- Learn how to use assessment to measure understanding, applying and reasoning
- Explore how to focus assessment on pupil success
After completing the course, educators will have a better understanding of why an effective assessment practice is so essential. They will gain deeper insight into how to use assessment to advance their pupils, particularly in a maths mastery context.
Assessment in the modern classroom
- What building blocks do teachers need to put in place for early learners to begin grasping mathematical concepts such as number and pattern?
- Ranking pupils by achievement doesn’t help them learn more effectively, nor does assessment always lead to improved learning. How can we change this trend?
- Data from traditional assessment methods is often confusing or overwhelming. How can teachers use assessment data to improve their practice?
- Many leaders find it difficult to interpret statistical data because it’s not collected in a standardised way. What tools are available for leaders who want to measure how well their school is serving its pupils, or to gauge the effectiveness of their policies and improvement initiatives?
So much data, but what’s relevant and how do I make sense of it?
- For educators, there is often too much data to track. When assessment identifies a learning gap, how should teachers interpret the data so it leads to the most effective and timely interventions for individual pupils and classes?
Who this is course intended for?
This course is intended for primary school leaders and classroom teachers who want to delve more deeply into the essentials of assessment for primary mathematics. This course is an excellent next step after the three-day Essentials of Teaching Maths Mastery, therefore it is strongly recommended that participants attend that course before registering for this one.
Level up your practice
How It Works
Find out more about the different types of training we offer and whether it's right for you.
Can't make it to our face-to-face training events? Don't worry! We have several online offerings. To see what's available, go to our Event Calendar and filter for 'online' in the Events dropdown.