This professional development course is designed to nurture:
- A deep understanding of teaching and learning mathematics in the Early Years Foundation Stage as defined by the DfE’s Statutory Framework
- A practical understanding of lesson structure and learning experiences to help children develop positive attitudes and interests in mathematics
- An expert level of understanding of the topic of teaching mathematics so that all children develop the necessary building blocks to excel mathematically
Educators will leave the course with a deep understanding of the teaching and learning of mathematics in the Early Years. Working through real school lessons, where they become the students, educators will have the opportunity to learn and explore through expert modelling.
This course looks to equip teachers with the necessary content and pedagogical knowledge to teach young pupils in order for them to secure a strong grounding in mathematical development and meet the numerical early learning goals.
- How to provide early learners with the building blocks necessary to begin grasping mathematical concepts in numbers and patterns
- How to help early learners develop a strong grounding in numbers, including counting, subitising, number bonds and number facts
- How to recognize and create visual and number patterns, including recognising the pattern of the counting system, comparing quantities and exploring and representing patterns within numbers
- How to develop spatial reasoning skills across all areas of mathematics including shape, space and measure
- How to differentiate Early Years learning for all groups to support the various rates at which children develop
Who this is course intended for?
This course is intended for primary school teachers who want to learn the essentials of the mastery approach to teaching mathematics in the Early Years Foundation Stage. This course is an excellent next step after the three-day Essentials of Teaching Maths Mastery, therefore it is strongly recommended that participants attend that course before registering for this one.
Level up your practice
How It Works
Find out more about the different types of training we offer and whether it's right for you.
Can't make it to our face-to-face training events? Don't worry! We have several online offerings. To see what's available, go to our Event Calendar and filter for 'online' in the Events dropdown.