This teacher professional development course is designed to nurture:
- A deep understanding of teaching and learning of whole numbers
- A shift in teacher mindset about teaching and learning whole numbers
- A practical understanding of lesson structure and learning experiences for teaching whole numbers
- An expert level of understanding of the topic of whole numbers
Educators will leave the course with an enhanced understanding of how to teach whole numbers for primary pupils. Working through real school lessons where they play the part of the students, teachers will come to a deeper understanding of the learning process.
This course looks to equip teachers with the necessary content and pedagogical knowledge to teach whole numbers so that pupils gain a conceptual understanding, become fluent in working with whole numbers and can apply what they know in a multitude of familiar and unfamiliar situations.
Core ideas in whole numbers
- Using whole numbers in different contexts including, nominal, ordinal, cardinal and in measures. Teaching and learning number bonds and place value
Addition and subtraction of whole numbers
- Teaching and learning small-number addition and subtraction strategies and how to progress to large-number addition and subtractions strategies
- The use of concrete and pictorial representations towards mastering formal algorithms
- Developing pupils’ self-assurance in applying appropriate strategies in familiar and unfamiliar addition and subtraction situations
- Combined operations
Multiplying whole numbers
- Navigating situations where multiplication is used including equal groups, arrays, constant rate, area and combinations
- Multiplication facts and beyond
- Multiplying multi-digit numbers
- Order of operations, factors and multiples
Dividing whole numbers
- Sharing and grouping
- Division and multiplication
- Division with remainders
- Division of larger numbers
- Order of operations
Problems solving involving whole number concepts
- Teaching through problem solving
Who this is course intended for?
This course is intended for teachers who want to learn the essentials of teaching whole numbers to primary school pupils. This course is an excellent next step after the three-day Essentials of Teaching Maths Mastery, therefore it is strongly recommended that participants attend that course before registering for this one.
Level up your practice
How It Works
Find out more about the different types of training we offer and whether it's right for you.
Can't make it to our face-to-face training events? Don't worry! We have several online offerings. To see what's available, go to our Event Calendar and filter for 'online' in the Events dropdown.