Editor’s note: This is an updated version of a blog post published on October 4, 2017.
A well-organised classroom makes your life easier as a teacher, and makes learning more enjoyable and intuitive for children. Find the right fit for your class with these tips for effective classroom organisation.
Planning classroom organisation for the year ahead can be very satisfying. Working on the layout of your class brings a sense of anticipation and a feeling of promise — a fresh start. Get the structure of your learning environment right and you’ll lay the foundation for a calm, organised and purposeful working atmosphere.
When planning how to organise your classroom, consider these four areas:
- How your classroom furniture will be organised
- Your use of wall space
- How you store resources
- Your housekeeping routine
To best support your learners, it can be helpful to think about your classroom from a learners’ perspective as well:
- What will it look like for them?
- How useful and accessible will they find the arrangement of furniture and resources?
- What will they need on the walls to support their learning?
Ready to start planning? Here are four tips for effective classroom organisation.