This teacher professional development course is designed to produce an understanding of the following key ideas:
- If maths is a language, children should understand how to speak it, read it and write it
- Journalling provides an excellent opportunity for pupils to develop the communication of their mathematical understanding and ideas in writing
- Simple descriptive journals can be used in classrooms in order for learners to quickly progress to deeper thinking
- Journalling can be employed by teachers to assess children’s understanding of mathematical concepts
Educators will leave this course with a solid understanding of the different types of journals, the practicalities of journalling and how to use journalling for continuous formative assessment.
The course will equip teachers with practical strategies to successfully deploy a journalling practice in their classroom. It will also give them the tools they need to support their pupils’ view of themselves as confident learners of mathematics.
- Learn how journal writing raises the ‘cognitive bar’ and challenges pupils to problem solve and think critically
Teaching through a problem
- Understand the different types of learning that take place during the lesson
- Learn how to develop opportunities for journalling at varying points throughout the teaching sequence
Different types of journaling
- Explore the five different types of journals in context
- Work through examples of the type of content pupils are encouraged to record
- Discuss the types of questions that help learners formulate their ideas
Supporting early opportunities to journal in KS1
- Learn how to encourage pupils to start their simple descriptive journals
- See how to progress to more advanced types of journals, such as evaluative and creative
Journalling to challenge all
- See how journalling can deepen learning by exploring complex problems
Who this is course intended for?
This course is an excellent next step after the three-day Essentials of Teaching Maths Mastery, therefore it is strongly recommended that participants attend that course before registering for this one.
Level up your practice
How It Works
Find out more about the different types of training we offer and whether it's right for you.
Can't make it to our face-to-face training events? Don't worry! We have several online offerings. To see what's available, go to our Event Calendar and filter for 'online' in the Events dropdown.